Port Blair, September 3: As the Unlock-4 commences and the economy is getting prepared for the better, Mr. M Vinod, president, Andaman Association of Tour Operators has appealed for the reopening of the tourism sector.
In a letter addressed to the Lieutenant Governor, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Port Blair, and Chief Secretary, Andaman and Nicobar Administration, Mr. Vinod said that since Unlock-4 has been implemented nationwide and has led to the reopening of all the state and Union Territories economy. Hence, it is a request to the administration to re-launch the tourism industry in Andamans too because many of the lives are depending on this sector alone.
With this request, the necessary changes were enlisted, following as:
- A Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) be formulated in consultation with stakeholders for visiting tourists.
- All tourism spots, beaches, monuments, islands, attractions etc. be opened up for sightseeing of the tourists.
- All water sports, adventure sports activities be opened up for recreational indulgence of the tourists.
- For the larger interest of reviving tourism which contributes to the majority in the local economy, all permits and licenses of tourism establishments (such as vehicle permits, water sports permits etc.) be auto renewed to ensure availability of tourist facilities and attractions.
- All tourism establishments may be given relaxations on their statutory and regulatory compliances to thrust revival. Any pending dues (such as rents, port charges, property tax etc.) be not mandated for permit renewals at this juncture.
- A strategic recovery road map be chalked out in consultation with stakeholders for reopening of tourism which encompasses all segments of the industry.
Concluding, Mr.Vinod comes up with the request to take necessary actions for the resumption of the tourism business at the earliest and strategize a road map to lift the lustrous industry which lies in a dilapidated condition today.