Central Administrative Tribunal orders to extend the CGHS facilities to employees and pensioners of UT: NGGOA

Port Blair, Oct 04: The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT), Ernakulam Bench directed continuation of Central Govt. Health Scheme (CGHS) facilities to the serving and retired employees of Union Territories. In the verdict dated 11th September, 2018 in a case (O.A.No. 180/00680/2017) filed by two pensioners of A & N Administration and Central Govt. Pensioners Association, Kerala Unit, the CAT gave the verdict which is a relief to thousands of employees and pensioners of Union Territories including this UT of A&N Islands.

Earlier, Govt. of India by an Office Memorandum dated 21st July, 2017 clarified that ‘serving employees/pensioners of Union Territories are not entitled to CGHS facilities’. Aggrieved by this decision of the Central Govt., two pensioners of A&N Administration viz. Mr. P.Haridas and Mr. V.Ramdas, also former Finance Secretaries of the Non-Gazetted Govt. Officers’ Association, A & N Islands had filed the OA with CAT, Ernakulam. The Central Govt. Pensioners’ Association, Kerala also was a party to the case. Later, Lakshadweep Pensioners’ Association also filed a similar case with CAT, Ernakulam Bench seeking continuation of CGHS facilities.

The Central Govt. Health Scheme (CGHS) is a facility given to serving employees and pensioners of Central Govt. which ensures the medical treatment or reimbursement cost through CGHS dispensaries situated at various cities. The employees and pensioners are eligible for the benefits on payment of required subscription.

Now, through a landmark decision, the CAT concluded that there should not be any distinction between Central Govt. employees and Union territory employees and ordered to continue to extend the CGHS facilities to employees and pensioners of Union Territories.

Mr. T.S.Sreekumar, General Secretary of the Non-Gazetted Govt. Officers’ Association welcomed the decision of CAT, Ernakulam Bench and brought this fact to the A & N Administration through a letter addressed to the Chief Secretary, for information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.