Port Blair, July 04: As the sun disappeared over the horizon, a glorious era of Indian Coast Guard Ship C-140 came to an end on 04th Jul 19. Prior de-commissioning, boat was based at Diglipur under Coast Guard Regio (A & N). The boat was de-commissioned in a traditional ceremony held at Coast Guard jetty at Port Blair. The ceremony was presided over by the Commander Coast Guard Region (A & N).
ICGS C-140, the last in the series of FRP interceptor Boats built by M/s Anderson Marine Pvt Ltd, Goa and has served the nation for more than 16 glorious years. The boat was commissioned into ICG on 15 Nov 2003 at Goa. Due to operational requirement and ever changing security scenario, boat was rebased at Campbell Bay on 04 Dec 2007 and later rebased at Diglipur on 12 Jul 2009.
During the life span, the boat sailed for 1141 days at sea and has covered a total distance of 60,391.17 Nautical Miles. She participated in various missions in line with fulfilment of CG charter of duties. During these missions, notably she saved 163 valuable lives including 61 foreign nationals. During 16 years in service, the boat has seen twelve Commanding Officers.
During the ceremony, an impressive Guard of honour was paraded and with sunset, the Coast Guard Ensign was hauled down on the boat for the last time. Soon after “paying off pennant,” which is equal to 1.5 times the boat’s length was lowered. Deputy Commandant AS Rathi, the last Commanding Officer of the boat made the final de-commissioning report to Inspector General MV Pathak, Commander Coast Guard Region (A & N) who was the chief guest on the occasion.
While addressing the crew and esteemed guests, the chief guest highlighted the contributions made by the interceptor boat and congratulated the boat and her crew for 16 years of yeoman service to the nation.